City of Belgrade


Belgrade (Beograd) is the capital of Serbia, and has a population of around 1.6 million people,making it one of the largest cities of Southeastern Europe. It is situated on the Balkan Peninsula, at the confluence of the rivers Sava and Danube. It is one of the oldest cities in Europe and has since the ancient times been an important focal point for trade, since it is at an intersection of the roads of Eastern and Western Europe.

Belgrade is the capital of Serbian culture, education and science. Because of its tumultuous history, Belgrade has for centuries been home to various nationalities.
In the age of the Roman Empire it was called Singidunum. Many years later, the name was changed into Belgrade, The White City. This name comes from the beautiful white stone from which the old Belgrade was built.


Knez Mihailova street


Historical buildings and parts of Belgrade are the city's biggest tourist attractions. They include Skadarlija, National Museum, the nearby National Theatre, Zemun, Trg Nikola Pasic, Milos residence, Princess Ljubica Residence, Terazije, Student Square, Kalemegdan, Knez Mihailova Street, House of Parliament, the Temple of Saint Sava, Old Palace... In addition, there are many parks, monuments, museums, cafes, restaurants and shops on both sides of the river Sava. Ada Ciganlija, Topcider and Kosutnjak. All of which are also popular, especially with visitors from the former Yugoslavia.

Belgrade has in its long and often turbulent history often changed name and its rulers. Since the third century when the Celtic tribe Scordisci, set up a stronghold Singidunum at the confluence of the Sava and Danube. The city was conquered by the Byzantines, Gepids, Sarmatians, Ostrogoths, Slavs, Avars, Franks, Bulgarians, Hungarians, Turks, Austrians and Germans. Each of the conquerors gave it its own name: Singidunum, Nandor Fehervar, Alba Graeca, Grieschisch Weisenburg, Alba Bulgarica, Taurunum. However, the longest-running name was that of 'Belgrade' given by the Slavs.

Belgrade was longest under the Turkish rule, from 1521 to 19th April 1867. "Ferman on the surrender of the city" which is recorded in the History of Belgrade, was officially proclaimed on Kalemegdan in the presence of Serbian dignitaries, representatives of great powers, Serbian and Turkish armies, and the entire population of Belgrade. It was the most solemnly day for Belgrade. The city was decorated with flowers and flags, and the current theater, Terazije in Savamala and other places were erected with triumphal arcs. After the decree was read, the Prince Mihailo Obrenović rode through the Serbian and Ottoman armies and went to town, where the commander of Belgrade Fortress, Ali Riza Pasha, had symbolically handed over the keys to the Serbian Cities (Near Belgrade, he was also handed over keys to Uzice, Sabac, Smederevo, Kladovo and Soko Grad). At the Belgrade fortress, next to the prominent Turkish flag was a Serbian flag and a Turkish guard was replaced by the Serbian guard. The last detachment of the Turkish garrison left the fort and Belgrade on the 24th of April 1867, and the next day, Ottoman commander - Ali Riza Pasha, left Belgrade as the last Turkish commander. Nine years later in 1876, the Turkish flag which symbolised the former occupation, was removed from Belgrade fortress.



Belgrade downtown



St. Sava Temple




More articles

Ada Bridge
Ada Ciganlija


Photo Gallery

Photo gallery
Facebook gallery



Other (external) links

Belgrade - Wiki page



District: Belgrade


 
 

 
 
Main page

Capital is Belgrade

Find out more about Belgrade and what you can see there

What you can visit

Something that might be interesting for you