Knjazevac


The municipality covers an area of 1202 km2 and it is the fourth largest in the Republic of Serbia. A significant part of Knjaževac is part of the hilly-mountainous region.

The highest point on the municipal territory is Midžor on Stara Planina mountain (2169m altitude), which is the highest peak in the Republic of Serbia. The lowest point is 176m above sea level and it is located in Knjaževac valley. The municipality includes 86 settlements, 85 villages and one town. The town itself is situated on the composition of Trgoviški Timok and Svrljiški Timok which make up Beli Timok, which runs to Zajecar and together with the Crni Timok makes theTimok. The Timok Region is named by that river.



History


Knjazevac area is settled during prehistoric times, the evidenced of this are settlements of Baranica, Škodrino polje, Dubrava, etc., horsman cave drawing in Gabrovnica and other archaeological findings. The ancient chronicler Pliny (II century AD) records this territory as a part of the Roman province of Moesia in which live Mezi people, Thracians, Dardanians, Tribals, Timahs, who had been formed, in symbiosis with the Slavic tribes, the local indigenous population of Timočani, called Putuklije.
Roman fort Timacum Minus, near village of Ravna, with excavated walls, parts of the civil settlement, the rich necropolis, explains the history of the period of Knjazevac area until the Middle Ages. In the town were found the remains of the other famous, Late Roman town, Timacum maius.

In the Roman road map from the IV century Knježevac was written under the name of Timac Maiori, a settlement that is built on the foundations of the fortress Veliki Timok on the Zdanije hill(the present church, "St. George").
From the period of medieval century are towns Ravna and Koželj, Church of the Virgin in Gornja Kamenica and Holy Trinity Monastery in Donja Kamenica, wich were built in the XV century, and the first track of the name Gurgusovac. In some older literature this place were called Kolumbija, it comes from the Latin word columba, meaning pigeon and a true translation is Golubac. This term has no archaeological or written confirmation. In the same time with this name was used, for a long time, name Gurgusovac.This name is mentioned in the Turkish census from 1455. Country legend says that this is the name given by Grivas pigeons.
The Turks conquered this area 1396 and annexed it to Vidinski pašaluk. From the time of the Turkish rule there are little information from this area. Records from the VII century preciselly record Gurgusovac as a military fort with palisades and a cannon, with 46 Turkish and 120 Christian homes.

First Serbian Rebellion came in Knjaževac area at 1807 when Hajduk Veljko ateccked Gurgusovac, but he could not conquer it until the Serbian-Russian victory in Malajnica. After the Serbian defeat in Čegar, Turks again conquered Gurgusovac. With the capitualation of Serbia 1813, capitulated Gurgusovac, which was again connected Vidinski pašaluk, until the liberation from the Turks and its association the Serbia 1833. The town inherited Gurgusovac Tower, the prison for political prisoners, known as "The Serbian Bastille". The tower was burned by order of Prince Miloš Obrenović, so in his honor, the citizens 1859.change the name of town in Knjaževac.

Difficult economic situation after the war and new taxes for railroad Belgrade - Niš and for military weapons, as well as immediate political situation in the country, led to a revolt Timočka buna 1883.godine. The immediate cause of revolt was collection of weapons from the national army and the rebellion swept Knjaževac and Knjaževac discrict in October 1883., and one of the initiators of the rebellion were Aca Stanojević from Knjaževac.

People from Knjaževac were good fighters through all the wars that affected this region, as the Serbo-Bulgarian War, Balkans, World War I. During the withdrawal of Serbian military 1915. they were particularly emphasized in the battles for the defense of Belgrade. XIV regiment within the Army II in breakthrough of Salonika Front in 1918 in crossed the Drina river as the vanguard, and it first came to Sarajevo, and reached the Adriatic Sea. After the war flag of the XIV regiment was awarded by Karadjordje Star.

The period between the two wars will be remembered by people who live in Knjaževac in the sign of the development of the municipality, opening of different craft shops and workshops, as well as the industry's first capacity: tanneries, brick wine cellar, so that Knjaževac gets all the elements of the urban environment.

World War II in Knjaževac started with demonstrations against the signing of the pact of association of Yugoslavia with the Tripartite Pact on March 25/27 1941. and the occupation of the 11th April 1941. by Germany and the occupation Budžak by Bulgaria. After a long battles with the Bulgarians and Germans, Knjaževac finally released on 10. October 1944.

The rapid development started in 1960 when the started clothing industry "Branka Dinić" shoe factory "Leda", tractors and machinery industry IMT, Timok furniture industry "Tina", a wine cellar became the "Džervin.

From all of this we can say that the period since 1970.until 1985.were the most important in current development of Knjaževca in all elements of economic and social development. During this period, were build some buildings which are symbols of Knjaževac, namely: the Cultural Center, Health Center, Kindergarten, and kindergarten network, several apartment blocks, and, as for the cultural community of Knjazevac is best known one national festival, the Festival of Youth Culture of Serbia, which was established 1962nd year, which continues until today.



Municipal Day


Liberation from centuries Turkish rule Timok area were, at last, 1833. when people rose up in rebellion decisively. 17. May 1833. is the date when, after 437 years in this region, deposed Ottoman rule and feudal order. This date is the date that will mean a magnificent gate through which Gurgusovac step into the future development within their homeland of Serbia and along with it in the mainstream of civilization of Europe in the XIX and XX. As the Turks are opposed to the regular army Miloševoj were surrendered on 17. May and one of his choice go to Pirot, and another in Nis. The Serbs then took ditch Gurgusovac tower, which meant that the Knjaževac, then Gurgusovac, was forever freed from the Turks.

In socio-historical and economic terms, this date represents a turning point in the development of Gurgusovca, from the 1859th of Knjazevac and the its area. Already in the summer 1833rd the Prince Miloš here will establish the front of the new civilian government, administration, after which the Gurgusovac begin to grow rapidly in the economic, educational and cultural level. In 1835. here is opened the first elementary school, a church, then the hospital, post office, gymnasium and others. institutions, which will give it an important attribute of the administrative, economic and cultural center.

Historically this date is the finale of a great national liberation movements directed towards the liberation from Ottoman imperia, which defended the Serbian national being of the people of this region.

17. May is an expression of loyalty of people from the Timok area to the age-old ideal: to live freely and equally with other Serbian nation is in the same state. Therefore, it is not only our ancestors property, but it belongs to present and future generations, because it is the spirit of protection of freedom that is just born and rich.

17. May is the date that is inscribed in the history of our municipality, and its celebration is began with the commemoration in 1994. and has been recognized as a day of Knjaževac, which marks the opening, ceremonial session of the Municipal Assembly, the public awarding , sporting, cultural and other events.



Municipal Patron Saint Day


Orthodox Church in Knjaževac (Gurgusovcu) 1835.godine was built and dedicated to the St. George. St.George lived in the Roman Empire during the Emperor Diocletian, who was known for his persecution of Christians. St. George was, despite a huge haslles, preached Christ and the Kingdom of Heaven, and Emperor Diocletian ordered his execution. He was executed on 6. May (30 April) 303.and that day is celebrated in his name.

Knjazevac municipality took this day - 6 May Day of Saint George - for his Patron Saint Day. Host in this day in Knjaževac is the Mayor. On that Day, in the Church of Saint George, is held an Episcopal liturgy,cutting Patron Saint holly cake,and piligrimage. For celebrating this Day the Municipalty organizes scientific, sporting, cultural, art and children's events, visit shrines and monuments and other activities by the program committee for celebrating the Municipal Patron Saint Day.



Source: knjazevac.rs



Main page


Capital is Belgrade

Find out more about Belgrade and what you can see there

What you can visit

Something that might be interesting for you