Paracin


The municipality of Paracin is located in the heart of Serbia, 156km from Belgrade, besides the most important traffic route of Europe, Corridor 10. It is part of the regions of Sumadija and Pomoravlje – it belongs to the Pomoravski district. The town of Paracin is 3.5km away from the right bank of Morava, on the river Crnica that goes through the town.

Paracin is 130m above sea level. From the total territory it occupies, 33,511 ha (~64%) goes to arable land and 16,854 ha (~36%) goes to the woods.

4 ha is the estimated land per household. This area was densely populated even before. In the last century it was probably the most densely populated area in Serbia. This was much due to the proximity of the Constantinople road which passed through here and represented the most important traffic route of its time.

Paracin is the crossroads of Europe. It lies on the 156th km of the international highway E-75 towards Nis and the Middle East, it is at the beginning of the international road E-761 for Zajecar and Bulgaria and it also lies on the connection with the E-760 road for Krusevac, Montenegro and Croatia. Paracin is 80km away from Nis and 500km from the Adriatic Sea. It is located in the center of Serbia, on the crossroads of many important roads, towards the North the road goes for Belgrade and then Hungary, towards the East is the road for Zajecar and then for the Middle East, towards the South is the road to Nis and then for Greece and towards the West the road to Kraljevo and then to Bosnia and Montenegro.

The river Crnica goes through the town which used to be very large and a person named Parakin used to take people across it, and later after the Romans, the town was named Parakin after him, and through time the name became Paracin.

Through the town also passes the international railway which was built in 1880. There was also a separate railway from Paracin to Zajecar over which the popular train Cira was going. But alas, during the communism era, the regime destroyed the railway and today there is only a stone embankment which was turned into a village road and at 28km from the city a tunnel (length 1950m) from the former railway also remains, with some remains of the buildings from the railway stations.



History


The first known settlement appears in the early prehistoric era some 8000 years ago. On and off, people of different ethnic backgrounds live here. From the 11th and 12th century AD the Slavs settle here.

Written records from of the name Paracin as the “plaza with the village fair” and “plaza on the Parakin hill” date from the 14th century (27/14 September 1375). In the 3rd century, the known Roman settlement Sarmatia appears here on the road Via Militaries (the Roman military road).
From 1861 Paracin gets the status of a town and becomes a known industrial center.

Rapid industrial growth appears at the end of the 19th century. A woolen fabrics factory of the brothers Minh is built, a cement factory and glass factory is built as well, which is why at the start of the 20th century Paracin becomes an important economic place in Serbia. Today, Paracin is a modern trade center whose geographical location and important communication roads attract the smaller towns around. With the growth of economy and industry, the social and culture life becomes stronger, of which deep historical evidence testifies.



Municipality Day

27 September – Paracin Municipality Day

After the democratic changes in 2000, there was a need to change the existing Municipality Day, and make it less ideological. In this sense, a survey was done in the populace through a local newspaper, with alternative suggestions: 27 September 1375, when Paracin is first mentioned in history as “Parakin’s ship”, 10 June 1833, when Paracin was added to the free, Milos’s Serbija, 16 June 1866, when Prince Mihajlo Obrenovic proclaimed Paracin as a town.

Since the first suggestion received the most favorable response, the Parain Municipality Assembly, in its session on 20 September 2001, made the decision that the 27 September be made the new Paracin Municipality Day. One week later, on the newly formed holiday, there was a ceremonial session of the Municipality Assembly, and the decision was made that from the next year, there shall be new September awards of the Paracin municipality being given, which has indeed been done since 2002.

The connection with the medieval era, the oldest Serbian history in these areas, the Petrursko seigniory, has continuity in the fact that in the emblem of the municipality there are these key elements from 1375. They appear in 1975, during the 6 century commemoration of the town’s existence on Crnica. A few years later, in the Lower park of Paracin, a monumental sculpture “The Poet” (Despot Stefan Lazarevic) was placed, made by the famous Serbian sculptur Nebojsa Mitric, whose vote was the decisive one in the jury when it was decided what is the emblem of the municipality of Paracin going to be.

The date itself, 27 September, was decided by using controversial professional writings, since numerous authors interpreted the date “14 indikt” on the charter of donating ”Parakin’s ship” to a Svetogorski monastery, as “14 September”, and 13 day were then added since the calendar is different. Tsar Dusan gifted the Petrursko seingiory to Prefect Vukoslav, whose father was a feudal lord in the areas of Trebinje, Rudina Gacko in Herzegovina. He and his sons built the fortified towns on the mountain at Lesja, Cokoce hill above Popovac. Besides the towns, they also built court churches, which are now renewed and are in function again. Vukosav’s son Crep is one the early victors in the fights against the Turks, and he died with the rest of the Serbian gentry on Kosovo in 1389. Crep’s son Venedict became a monk, like other Vukoslavics (Drazman and Anisija). That is how this famous aristocratic Serbian family ended.



Distict: Pomoravlje

Main page


Capital is Belgrade

Find out more about Belgrade and what you can see there

What you can visit

Something that might be interesting for you